Graduate Quantity Surveyor
Apply by 30th June 2023
About our programme:
We were named a ‘Top Graduate & Apprentice Employer’ by TheJobCrowd, the only graduate and apprentice employer ranking system based on employee feedback, and we appeared second in a list of 100 for apprentices and graduates to work for across the industry, and 17th out of 100 graduate employers UK-wide. We are also proud to be a gold member of the 5% club – an association that recognises employers with at least 5% of their workforce in ‘earn and learn’ positions.
Our Graduate Development scheme is a structured training programme made up of six key modules designed to support and empower you to develop your career. The modules will support you to develop your leadership and interpersonal skills and enable you to reach your potential. The programme lasts for two years which you will attend in parallel to your permanent job role. This is complemented by technical, on-the-job training as needed, as well as learning directly from experts within our business.
In addition, if you decide to work towards your professional qualification while on the programme, we can provide all the support you require to complete this.
What you will be doing:
As a Graduate Quantity Surveyor, you will work closely with your line manager to assist in the commercial administration, reporting and performance on a single large project or several smaller schemes.
- Learn to use the latest software tools to accurately report cost and value to the business unit
- Interpret and critically evaluate expenditure reports produced by internal cost systems
- Be involved in the procurement of Subcontract partners including preparation of bid enquiry documentation and critical evaluation of bids
- Produce Subcontract documentation
- Assist in the production and issue of commercial notices, to both the Client and Subcontractors, as required by the form of contract and the law
- Assist in the management of change in accordance with the form of contract, including the production and submission of Compensation Event Quotations and the maintenance of detailed schedules of value
- Provide information to the Commercial team to assist in the production of monthly payment applications to the Client
- Liaise with operational and engineering staff to maintain site records
- Collate and calculate information required to assist the Commercial team in the production and maintenance of a detailed ‘cost to complete’ including schedules of Subcontractor ‘liabilities’
This is not an exhaustive list of duties
What We Can Offer in Return:
With an impressive order book of over £3.2 billion we are one of the industry’s leading principal contractors, affording you the opportunity to work on some of the UK’s most exciting projects offering you stability as well as the chance to stretch your capabilities and realise long held career goals. You will be joining diverse teams working at a high professional level with exceptional levels of commitment. With an ambitious strategy, we’re poised for further growth and success, so if you’re committed, talented and enthusiastic, Galliford Try is the right place for you.
We are committed to maintaining the physical and mental wellbeing of all our people, through our ‘Be Well’ programme which offers discounts on certain products, advice and support for a range of issues.
We invest in high-quality training for employees of all levels, from our leadership development framework to our apprenticeship programmes. Through our Career Paths initiative, individuals receive tailored training and support to fulfil their potential.
Our industry is all about creating talented teams that excel in their areas of expertise. As an employer, we know you are most motivated to give your best when you feel valued and engaged.
Our Agile Working programme empowers you with flexibility in when, where and how you work. Where appropriate, site and office-based employees can take advantage of a wide variety of working practices, offering different amounts of structure, regularity and flexibility to suit your needs as well as those of your wider team.
Named Contractor of the Year by the Water Industry Awards, Galliford Try is one of the UK’s leading construction businesses with a vision to continuously be a people-orientated, progressive business, driven by our values to deliver lasting change for our stakeholders and the communities we work in.
Our purpose is to improve people’s lives through building the facilities and infrastructure that communities need, providing opportunities for our people to learn, grow and progress, working with our supply chain to promote the very best working practice and caring for the environment in which we work.
We do this by holding true to our values; delivering excellence for our clients and the community, demonstrating passion about our role in providing vital services, putting integrity at the heart of our business by doing the right thing, and being collaborative with our clients, supply chain and stakeholders to deliver lasting change and long-term value.
What we’re looking for:
- Graduates from a wide range of backgrounds including Quantity Surveying, Commercial Management (or similar)
- Eligibility to work and live in the UK at the time of joining
- Passion, flexibility, resilience and adaptability
- Good communication skills with the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
- A self-starter with a flexible but robust approach, and able to work as part of a team
- Highly motivated and curious, self-confident individuals
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good attention to detail
- A highly organised approach to work
- Willingness to get involved in key projects
- Ability to become a valued member of the team
- Full UK driving licence (or currently learning)
We put our people first and our benefits package reflects that by offering a comprehensive range of attractive options to help support your career on top of a competitive salary.
- Company car / car allowance (role dependent)
- Generous holiday entitlement, increasing with years of service, plus the opportunity to purchase further holidays each year
- A wide range of corporate discounts
- Cycle to Work schemes
- Comprehensive pension plan
- Regular Save as You Earn share purchase scheme
- Private medical scheme options are available for all salaried employees and our employee assistance programme also provides free 24/7 support to those who need it
Galliford Try welcomes applications from candidates who would like to work full-time, part-time and / or flexibly and this will be discussed in more detail as part of the recruitment process.
We encourage you and would be grateful if you could confirm any requirements we can reasonably fulfil to make this application a positive experience for you.
Don’t meet every requirement of the role? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Galliford Try, we are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every requirement of the role, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.