Graduate Building Surveyor – 2022 & 2023 Start
Apply by 27th October 2022
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at www.aecom.com and @AECOM.
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive portfolio of building services and engineering skills to projects encompassing all types of building and use from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare & research, hotels, industrial & manufacturing, and infrastructure both in the UK&I and overseas.
We have a number of opportunities across the UK&I for Building Surveying graduates to work within our surveying teams, to help provide a range of building surveying services to our clients in the UK, Ireland and around the world.
AECOM provides building surveying services to Clients in both the public and private sector, and to organisations in all areas of the Construction Industry including:
- Commercial – condition surveys, refurbishments
- Manufacturing, Industrial and Automotive facilities for Clients such as Rolls Royce, BMW and Jaguar Land Rover
- Education establishments including schools, academies and universities
- Leisure and Culture projects such as theatres, concerts halls and museums
- Defence projects throughout the UK
Project Based (Design) Work:
You will have the chance to be involved in all stages of a project. From initial project definition and brief, design and specification, through to procurement, construction and building use, you will have an opportunity to work with a wide variety of clients including some very high profile names, often working alongside other construction professionals in multi-disciplinary teams. We believe that actually doing the work itself gives the best opportunity to learn, so you can expect to be given responsibility, and will need to be able to work both autonomously and as part of a team, all whilst receiving the guidance and support to allow you to develop.
Professional Based Work:
You will be given the opportunity to undertake schedules of condition, dilapidations, party wall works and technical due diligence work. Working under the guidance of senior staff to enable you to gain experience and knowledge in these areas.
The Building Surveyor role we offer can be varied and is dependent on the Client, sector and project we are working for as well as the team for which you will be working. General Building Surveying duties are listed below and will be provided as far as practicable to ensure breadth of knowledge for gaining successful Chartership through the RICS APC.
- Feasibility Studies
- Design and specification
- Detailed drawings (CAD not required, but the ability to provide clear mark ups for CAD to produce drawings will be expected)
- Planning applications
- Listed building and conservation area consents
- Building regulations
- Tendering process
- Contract administration
- Measured surveys
- Condition surveys
- Technical due diligence
- Party wall awards
A Building Surveying Graduate at AECOM could have the opportunity to assist in all of the above tasks, and see projects from inception to completion on site.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (min 2.1 or equivalent) in Building Surveying RICS accredited
- Effective decision making and strong verbal and written communication
- Proactive and driven approach to work and creating success
- Ability to work in a team of diverse individuals to meet common objectives
- Buy-in to achieving deadlines set by Clients and Managers
- Good organisation skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and willingness to ask for help when needed, as well as support other members of the team.
- You must have the right to work in the country for which you are applying as we are unable to offer visa sponsorship for these roles.
- Relevant work / placement experience would be advantageous
What We Offer
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients. We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business. We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career. When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts – planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers – leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let’s get started. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.